Dogs and humans are both mammals, so we naturally share some features, such as organ functions, instincts, and even some diseases. However, when it comes to gum disease in dogs, they are very different. This condition is much more common in dogs than in people.
Providing your dog with good dental care is essential. By the age of 2, 75% of dogs will have developed a form of dental disease. Gum disease is one of the most common dental diseases a dog can experience. If not treated, gum disease can severely deteriorate teeth and gums, cause chronic pain and lead to more serious conditions affecting the heart, lungs, and liver.
Did you know that by the age of 2, 75% of dogs will have developed a form of dental disease?
Why can my dog get gum disease?
As we have already mentioned, gum disease is pretty common in dogs, much more than in humans. Saliva and remaining food particles can contribute to the build-up of plaque and tartar in dogs, and can eventually lead to developing bacteria, which causes gum disease.
Depending on your dog’s age, health, and size, some dogs are more prone to develop dental disease. In addition, depending on the shape of their mouth, some breeds are more likely to develop gum disease than others: Pugs, Bulldogs, Greyhounds, Whippets, and Yorkshire Terriers, to name a few.
Symptoms of gum disease in dogs
- Bad breath
- Bloody gums and saliva
- Difficulty eating (you may notice your dog chooses softs chews over hard foods)
- Exaggerated drooling
- Swollen face
How can I prevent gum disease in dogs?
Dogs’ teeth are very delicate and need to be seriously taken care of. In Mokai, we have an entire line dedicated to dental care, to protect your dog’s gums and teeth, and boost his oral health.
- Dental wipes: They consist of an antimicrobial and antifungal solution that reduces the plaque, dental calculus, and tartar build-up on your dog’s teeth over time.
- Dental powder: It is an all-natural food supplement that helps oral health. It contains selected algae harvested in the North Atlantic. Our powder helps clean your dog’s teeth and freshen his breath while preventing gum disease.
- Medicinal Mushrooms: One of the main ingredients of this adaptogenic organic powder is Kelp, which is a type of sea algae. Kelps’ alginic acid reduces tartar buildup and dental plaque while reducing inflammation and itching.
- Daily-Multi Vitamins: This supplement helps reduce inflammation, promotes digestion, and bolsters your dog’s immune system.